D Practice. 1. Decide whether the following statements represent no movement at all, a slow movement or rapid one
1 The plummeting dollar has boosted American exports.
2 Sales have been stagnant.
3 There has been a surge in the number of complaints.
4 Imports have risen somewhat.
5 There has been a slight increase in production costs.
6 The glut in the market has caused prices to slump.
7 Home sales have slipped back.
8 Prices are likely to remain steady overall.
9 The price of gold eased back by the end of the day to $423 an ounce.
10 Coffee futures edged up yesterday.
11 Euro-Disney shares went up sharply to 113p.
2. Complete the passage using an appropriate expression to replace the graphs.
Last year was a bad year for commodity prices.
The commodity price index 1) throughout January and February reaching an 2)record in mid-March. Prices then started to 3) and
4) until the end of April, when they 5) again with disastrous results for commodity producers. Despite a 6) in May the situation worsened again in June and prices 7) once more to another
8) record at the end of July. Prices remained stable for the rest of the summer and even 9) during the period September-November, before 10) yet again at the end of the year.
3. Draw a graph which shows developing trends. Choose any of the following subjects:
- company performance
- product sales
- economic trends
- development of tourism, industry or leisure interests
Then write a short paragraph describing your graph, accounting for its profile.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2018-09-12;